Many people around the globe believe in luck. I have not lived in any country outside my own, the Philippines, and that's the reason for this luck blog! The word "Luck" is "Suwerte" or "Swerte" in Tagalog or Pilipino. There are many superstious beliefs in our country that may be 'indigenous' or copied from other cultures. The Philippines has been host to several 'rulers' and/or influences like the Chinese, Spaniards/Portuguese, Americans and Japanese. But, mind you, the Filipinos might just have more superstitions when it comes to luck as against the combined superstitions of all the other cultures and countries.
Here are some, I believe, to be genuine Pinoy superstitious beliefs when it comes to luck:
- Sweeping away floor dirt out and towards the main door of the house.
- Cutting of finger nails at night.
- Paying out money or a debt at night.
- Leaving much unfinished food on dinner plate.
- And, many others they claim that should not have been said or done in some hours of a day.
- Also, some religious beliefs or superstition that may have something to do with luck.